Department of Forestry (Affiliated to HNB Garhwal Central University)
About the Department
The Department of Forestry offers B.Sc. Forestry (4 years professional and regular degree program) which is affiliated to Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (NAAC ‘A’ Grade Central University). RIT School of Forestry has tied up with “State Forest Departments” such as FRI, Dehradun and Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun to inculcate students on the latest technology.
Global concern about natural resource conservation and sustainable management requires trained forest managers for the management of the forests globally. Considering the recent rise in Forest Fires due to negligence of the community and climate change, we need certified Forestry Professionals to restore the ecological balance.
Himalayan College is affiliated to Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University). Basic forestry and allied courses like geology and soil science, hydrology and watershed management, soil survey and land use planning, medicinal and aromatic plants, forest entomology and pathology, apiculture and sericulture, dendrology, world forestry systems, agro-forestry and social forestry, environmental studies, forest engineering. Introductory course of computer science, statistics, bio-mathematics, biology, plant physiology, biochemistry, biotechnology, genetics and plant breeding, microbiology, economics, agro-meteorology and remote sensing.
SCOPE OF B.Sc. FORESTRY
- Forestry is a branch of agriculture. After graduation, one can join higher education in Forest Research Institute, Wildlife Institute of India, Indian Institute of Forest Management.
- Forestry graduates in the Forest Department of Indian Government. They can be part of the recruitment procedures in various central government departments. The forestry graduates can attend in the UPSC exams for going into services such as IFS, IAS, IPS, etc. as well as the State Public Service Commission Examinations.
- For students jobs are available in forest industries, such as Pulp and Paper mills, Plywood and Timber industries. In case of private sector jobs, some job posts available such as plantation and resort manager, forest product marketing, forest products purchasing manager, Research and Development sector etc.
- There are jobs for forestry graduates like in Paper companies (Plantation and Raw Material)- preferred IIFM grads, Agri & Plantation related companies like DS Group (Rajnigandha fame), reputed NGOs like FES, JBF, WOTR, AKRSP, GIZ, etc. The candidates who have done their graduation in forestry can opt for specialization in Agro forestry, Silviculture, Forest products, Tree improvements, wood science & technology, etc.
- Indian Forest Services (IFS)
- ARS Scientist of ICAR and ICFRE
- Teaching and Research Jobs in Central Universities
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Forest Research Institute (FRI)
- Botanical Survey of India
- Zoological Survey of India
- Staff Selection Commission exam (SSC)
- Assistant Conservator of Forest
- Nursery Manager
- Purchase Manager (Forest products)
- Assistant Professor (after completing M.Sc. Degree and NET or Ph.D)
- Plantation Manager
- Officer State Forest Department
- Forest products marketing
- Forest Range Officer
- Forestry Technicians
- Forest Officer
- Forestry Staff
- Forest Professionals
- Natural Resource Technician
- Operations Forester
- Senior Forestry Consultant
- Plantation Manager
- Plywood Industries
- Pulp and Paper Industries
- Tree Expert
- Forest Surveyors
- Sales/ Business Development Officer
- Field Investigator
- DS Group of Industries
- National Plywood Industries, New Delhi
- Indian Plywood Industries, Yamuna Nagar
- Asian Plywood Industries, Damla, Haryana
- Century Paper Mills Limited, Haldwani
- Star Paper Mills Limited, Saharanpur
- J K Paper Limited
- Specialist Officers in NABARD
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection- PO and Clerks
- Agriculture Insurance Company of India
- Regional Rural Banks
B Sc – Forestry
The Department of Forestry in Himalayan College offers B. Sc. Forestry (4 years regular degree programmes) following semester system, which includes organizational training and attachment with State Forest Department).