Roorkee Institute of Technology (RIT) and Himalayan College (HC) operate in unison under Himalayan Charitable Trust. Forestry is the science and art of managing tree plantations, forests and related resources. In Himalayan College, we offer B.Sc. Forestry and B.Sc. Forestry program is a 4 years regular degree program (a Semester Module including organizational training and attachment with State Forest Department). The main aim of this program is to train students to become Forestry professionals. The tasks of forestry professional are- conserving forest and forest resources, conserving and protecting wildlife, manage forest resources, develop forest and forest resources etc. B.Sc. Forestry program trains students and instills skills in them, which will help them perform the above mentioned tasks. Also, the program has been designed to provide the students knowledge about latest technology used in the field of Forestry. Apart from the theoretical subjects, this B.Sc. program also consists of practical sessions as well as work experience oriented tours and trainings.
Himalayan College is affiliated to Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University). The Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University) is an “A” Grade accredited Institute by NAAC (An autonomous Institution of the University Grants Commission, New Delhi). In Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University) for strengthening the Department of Forestry, continuous financial support is being provided by Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education (ICFRE), Dehradun since 1995. The importance of academic contribution of the Department of Forestry has also been recognized by DST-FIST in 2007, which has further supported and assisted in strengthening the department. More than 20 scholars from this department have been awarded Ph. D degree in Forestry by the HNB Garhwal University and Dr. Bobbymoore Konsam (Head, Department of Forestry, Himalayan College) is also one of them. Three scholars were selected as Scientist by Agriculture Research Scientist Board (ICAR) and more than 08 scholars have qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR), New Delhi. The students of the department have also been selected as forestry professionals in many prestigious Government Institutes, Universities, Private sectors and Non Governmental organizations. Department has also initiated International collaboration for Natural Resource studies and Teaching and Research exchange programme with ICRAF, South Asia, New Delhi. Memorandum of understanding for exchange of faculty and students and for undertaking joint research projects are under consideration with some other national and international institutes/ universities. Currently, the Department of Forestry, HNB Garhwal University is exchanging students with University of Applied Forest Sciences, Rottenburg, Germany.
• For admission in B.Sc. Forestry (4 years Course) a candidate should have passed Intermediate (10+2) examination or equivalent with Maths/Biology/Agriculture group (Science stream) from any recognized Board/University.
• The students are generally admitted on the basis of personal interview and written examination conducted by institute/university or admit student on merit basis.
• The course is affiliated with Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University), Srinagar-Garhwal, Uttarakhand.
B. Sc. Forestry: Job Prospects
Ample job opportunities are available for B.Sc. Forestry graduates in the Forest Department of Indian Government. One may land the job of a forester or forest department officer in State Governments’ Forest Department. For this, one has to go through the selection process and examination though. In case of private sector jobs, some job posts available are- plantation and resort manager, forest product marketing, forest products purchasing manager, Research and Development sector etc. One may also follow up B.Sc. Degree with M.Sc. Degree and take up a teaching job also.
Some good job posts available for graduates are:
- Jobs in State Governments’ Forest Department as Officers viz-a-viz Forester, Range Officer or ACF (Assistant Conservator of Forest) and DFO (Divisional Forest Officer) after qualifying the Indian Forest Service Examination conducted by UPSC, New Delhi.
- Jobs in Banks (Agricultural Officer and Probationary Officers in different public sector and private banks of India).
- Jobs in Research and Development (ARS and Research Fellow posts in many government and private organizations).
- Researcher/Scientist (after completing M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs)
- Lecturer/Assistant Professor (after completing M.Sc. Degree/Ph.D. programs) in Colleges and Institutions.
- Plantation Manager
- Nursery Manager
- Forest products marketing
- Purchase Manager (Forest products)
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Applied Science and Humanities
- Department of MBA
- Department of MCA
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Forestry
- Department of Education
- Academic Policy
- Academic Calender
- On Line Study Material
- Workshops & Seminars
- WiFi Internet